Tuesday 14 February 2012

Fair trade craft (with chickens)

This little picture has been in my collection for donkey's years, I picked it up at an op shop (AKA charity shop, thrift store, the usual translations!) for a dollar.  Of course it has chickens, but I also like it because of the charming scene, it's got lots of green in it (my favourite colour), it's clearly hand-stitched, and I'm quite keen on Indian regional fabrics.

Approx 5x7 inches in the frame


It says 'Aarong, Bangladesh' on the back, and until today I didn't know what that meant.  Turns out that Aarong was established in 1978, and is 'a fair trade organisation dedicated to bring about positive changes in the lives of disadvantaged artisans and underprivileged rural women by reviving and promoting their skills and craft'.

So while I'm a bit sad that my dollar didn't go directly to Aarong, at least I've now learned something new, and I get to promote Aarong through the magic of the interwebs.

No comments:

Post a Comment