Wednesday 11 January 2012

Focus on - Randy the Rooster (MIA 2010, possibly abducted by aliens)

Alas, poor Randy, I knew him, Horatio....

Randy was a Silkie boy and came from a friend, he was harrassing her hens, and so we gave him a home in 2009.  In 2010 we received an anonymous note in our letterbox saying 'How much longer are we going to have to put up with your rooster?  Show some consideration for you're [sic] neighbours'. 

I saw a little red at that unsigned note, and mentally said 'f*** that, if you can't sign the note, I don't have to deal with you'.

A week later we went away overnight, and when I went to feed the chooks the next day, Randy was gone.    Just gone.   None of the other chickens were missing, and there was no sign of a struggle, no feathers, no disturbance.  Our 1/4 acre garden has 6 foot fences and is enclosed by other gardens on all sides.

Was he abducted by aliens?  Did this 12 inch tall chicken leap over the fence as if by magic?  Did he fly away?  Or was it Murder Most Fowl (da da duuuummm)?

Well, I reported it to the police, as I was quite disturbed if someone had come into our garden with the express purpose of disposing of my pet.  Trying to explain to the officer on the phone that I was reporting a chicken as a missing person / stolen item was one of the funniest things of my life.  Description of person?  Well, he's 1 foot tall, white, fluffy and his name is Randy...  Let's just say the desk clerk probably got a lot of mileage from my call that night.  I could barely talk, I was laughing that much. 

And to this day, 18 months later, we never did find out what happened.  It's sinister in the 'burbs sometimes...

1 comment:

  1. May he rest in peace . . . where ever he may lay!

    (Oh, that's right he was a rooster . . . not a hen).

    B

    ReplyDelete